Congratulations on taking the next step toward advancing your career by applying to a degree program at the University of Minnesota's Technological Leadership Institute (TLI). The application process for our three Master of Science degree programs is outlined below. In order to get started, you will need to create an online application. This will be used to submit all required documentation to apply to any of TLI's three degree programs, which are a part of the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus in Minneapolis. The steps below will walk you through each section of the application.
Step 1: Create an Online Application
To begin the graduate school application process you need to access the online application system and create an account. This application is where you will submit all documentation required to apply to TLI's masters programs and graduate certificates.
Step 2: Program Selection
Narrow your program results by selecting the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus. Then, filter programs by college/school by selecting Science and Engineering or directly select your program by searching the list of all Twin Cities campus programs. Finally, select how you heard about our program.
Step 3: Term Selection
TLI's masters programs and graduate certificates begin in the fall. Please select fall term for your desired program.
Step 4: Biographical Information
In this section, you will be asked to provide general information, including:
- Phone number
- Citizenship information
Step 5: Personal Background
This section asks for information on:
- Military service
- Education background
- Languages you speak
Step 6: Academic History
Upload your unofficial transcript(s).
- If you have attended more than one post-secondary institution, please include all unofficial transcripts.
- International students should upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English.
Note: Official transcripts/academic records are required after you are admitted to a graduate program. You will receive a list of the specific credentials that are required from you at the time of admission. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the University of Minnesota from the issuing institution. Do not send official transcripts to yourself first.
Step 7: Employment History
Enter your employment history into the application.
Step 8: Test Scores
Academic tests are NOT required for admission into TLI programs (e.g. GRE, GMAT, etc.).
- International students: please see "English language proficiency test scores" below.
Step 9: Materials
MOT, MDI, and ST applications require a personal statement and a resume/CV on the application.
Electrification Engineering Certificate does not require a personal statement or a resume/CV.
Personal Statement: A personal statement is generally 1-3 pages, and should include:
- Your interest in the graduate program and why you selected it.
- Your managerial and/or technical leadership experience, abilities and interest in increasing your skills and opportunities.
- Your expectations for program outcomes, and how you anticipate using the skills you will gain to achieve your short- and long-term career goals.
- Specific courses that you feel will apply to your current and future work challenges and needs.
Resume/CV: Upload your current resume/CV in the online application system.
Optional Items: The following sections of the online application are NOT required, but may be submitted if desired:
- Diversity statement
- Extenuating circumstances statement
Step 10: Letters of Recommendation
The number of letters of recommendation required varies by program:
- MOT: Three letters
- MDI and MSST: Two letters
- Electrification Engineering Certificate: No letters of recommendation are required for the Electrification Engineering Certificate
- Letter writers should be professors, supervisors or clients who have reviewed your academic and/or professional capabilities.
- Include one letter from your current supervisor (if applicable)
- Enter the names and email addresses of your letter writers. The system will send them an email with directions for uploading their letters of recommendation. Do this early in the process to allow enough time for your letter writers.
- You may finish and submit your application before your letters are submitted by the writers.
English Language Proficiency Test
Proof of English language proficiency test results are required for international and domestic applicants whose first language is not English and must be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Complete at least the last 2 years of a bachelor's degree or 1 year of graduate school (Full-Time) in the U.S., U..K., Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Anglophone Africa, or the English-speaking Caribbean and will provide official transcripts.
- Complete education solely in English in a country where English is not the official language and will provide documented proof (Ex. India).
- Will provide the official results of an English language test taken within the last two years. We accept tests from TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, and Duolingo. Competitive candidates typically have scores within the following ranges:
- TOEFL - 90 and above
- IELTS - 7.0 and above
- PTE Academic - 65 and above
- Duolingo- overall score 120 and above, literacy score 120 and above
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about English language testing.