The Technological Leadership Institute (TLI) is an interdisciplinary center at the University of Minnesota established in 1987 by an endowment from the Honeywell Foundation. The Institute is part of the College of Science and Engineering, which is ranked among the top engineering and science schools in the country.
TLI's mission is to develop local and global leaders for technology-intensive enterprises through its three Master of Science degree programs:
- M.S. in Management of Technology (MOT), a four-semester program aimed at transforming engineering, science and other technical professionals into business leaders.
- M.S. in Security Technologies (MSST), a 22-month program designed to shape tomorrow's risk management policymakers and innovators.
- M.S. in Medical Device Innovation (MDI), a 22-month program designed to prepare students to manage complex innovation challenges in the global medical technology industry.
Commitment to Success
The Technological Leadership Institute is dedicated to lifelong education through our degree programs, undergraduate experiences, and continuing education opportunities aimed at bridging the gap between business and technology. Learn more about the Technological Leadership Institute's values in the menu below.
TLI's Organizational Values
- Takes accountability
- Maintains ethics and confidentiality
- Is open to different points of view
- Speaks and acts consistently and honestly
- Meets commitments
- Supports and implements decisions
- Fosters high performance teaming
- Stimulates creativity, new ideas and learning
- Takes reasoned risks
- Celebrates success/learns from failure
- Courageously challenges the status quo and builds partnerships/concensus in manner consistent with TLI values, compliance and due process
Excellence and Quality
- Seeks continuous improvement
- Maintains highest academic and businss standards and credibility
- Is persistent in the face of challenges
- Addresses goals with urgency and focus
Commitment to the U of M/CSE/TLI Internal and External Customers
- Anticipates and addresses customer needs
- Incorporates customer needs and wants into solutions
- Honors commitments to customers
- Considers customer perspective in decision-making
- Provides excellent stewardship of TLI resources
Commitment to Each Other
- Exhibits trust by assuming positive motives in others
- Listens compassionately and attentively for possibilities
- Pursues ways to improve teamwork
- Practices and welcomes appreciative and constructive coaching
- Maintains an enthusiastic, can-do attitude
- Includes colleagues' perspectives in decision-making
Commitment to the Mission, Vision and Values of the University of Minnesota
- Builds on the values of TLI by striving to achieve Roadmap goals
- Includes larger team and societal perspectives in decision-making; demonstrating a societal perspective consistent with TLI Roadmap goals and for technological leadership in Minnesota
- Seeks opportunities to make a positive difference in Minnesota and the world
TLI's academic programs are intentionally kept small and highly selective in order to ensure the highest quality student body and personal attention from faculty. All TLI degree offerings are tailored to empower professionals by:
- Focusing on leadership in technology-based environments
- Teaching technical professionals to analyze existing and emerging technologies
- Leveraging interdisciplinary faculty with real-world experience
- Bridging the gap between technology and business with applied learning
Results That Matter
TLI students and graduates are at the core of the Institute's success. The outstanding contributions they make to technology innovation within the program and post-graduation impact all aspects of high-tech industries. The professionals who enroll in our degree programs continue to be among the best of the best, as are the TLI faculty members who have dedicated their careers to grooming the next generation of technology leaders.
Current graduate students
Dedicated faculty and staff
Distinguished Faculty and Advisors
What sets the Technological Leadership Institute apart is the distinguished faculty and industry-leading experts that teach in our programs. Our instructors, many who are actively working in their respective industries, bring real-time, real-world, leadership experience directly to the classroom. The small cohort model allows students to build meaningful relationships with both the faculty and their classmates, developing a strong network of industry-leading professionals as they move forward in their careers.