Executive Education for Technology Leaders
MOT vs. MBA
The Technological Leadership Institute’s world-renowned M.S. in Management of Technology (MOT) degree program has been combining technology and business to advance both sectors for nearly three decades. The MOT is a management degree with an emphasis in strategic technological leadership. Often compared to an MBA, the MOT has the following distinctions for technology-based professionals:
- In addition to accounting, finance and marketing, students also study technology forecasting, innovation management, new technology product development and commercialization.
- Students participate in the International Management of Technology Project (IMTP), an intensive two-week trip abroad to both a leading and emerging market, to analyze the cultural, socioeconomic, and political structures as they relate to international business.
- Each student chooses a significant topic for the MOT capstone project. This work-based research project enables students to directly apply their MOT education at work, providing immediate and long-term benefits to both the student and their employer.
- At least five years of full-time work experience in a science, engineering or technology-related career field
- Undergraduate degree
- Tech-based leadership experience or potential
TLI was the first U.S. public university to offer an MOT program. As a differentiating degree for technology leaders from a global top-50 university, the MOT degree has been a career-enhancing credential for its alumni for decades.
Fellowships are available. Learn about requirements and deadlines.
MOT graduates gain the skills necessary to elevate their technology careers. Take a look at the statistics above taken from TLI's 2017 MOT Alumni Survey. READ MORE about how students and alumni are driven to transition into leadership roles within a variety of companies and organizations.
Our executive format allows students to continue to work full time while in school, featuring:
- A cohort-based model which emphasizes collaboration and the sharing of each members' diverse experiences and ideas
- Small class size (maximum of 30 students)
- Classes held one full day per week
- Take classes in-person or remotely
- Program completion in 21 months
Visit our curriculum page to view detailed course information. TLI also offers a graduate minor in Management of Technology for students already enrolled in a University of Minnesota master's degree program.