International Students

Resources for International Students

The Technological Leadership Institute is proud of its many international alumni and encourages qualified students from all over the world to apply to its three Master of Science programs.

We know applying to a program outside of your home country can be confusing and raise many questions. Our admissions associates are here to help and walk you through the entire process. 

To help you get started, we have compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions and answers to each.  For any additional questions, please reach out to our admissions team by emailing

Frequently Asked Questions 

Expand all

Do I need to complete an English Language Proficiency Exam in order to apply for the MOT/MDI/ST program?

Please see the graduate school website for English language proficiency requirements.

If you have questions about your specific situation, please reach out to our admissions team.

Are students in the MOT, MDI or ST programs eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

Yes, students in the MOT, MDI and ST are eligible to participate in both the CPT and OPT training. Normal rules and regulations apply. For more information, please refer to the University of Minnesota’s International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) websites: 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

What CIP designations do the MOT, MDI or ST programs have?

Each program in TLI has a designation:

  • ST: STEM

Classified by the Department of Homeland Security, international students with a STEM designated degree are eligible for a 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) work permit extension in addition to the 12-month-post-completion work permit. This change is effective for the upcoming fall 2023 academic year. Learn more about the 24 month STEM OPT extension on the International Student and Scholar Services website.

How much does it cost to submit an application?

The cost to submit an application as an international student is $95.

Do international students pay the same tuition rate as U.S. students?

Yes, international students pay the same tuition rate as US students, however, there may be additional fees. For more information on the tuition rate for each of TLI’s programs, please click here.

Are there resources to find on-campus or off-campus housing?

Yes, the University of Minnesota provides resources to help all students find housing both on- and off-campus.

On-campus housing:

Off-campus housing:

Need temporary housing before your lease starts?

I’ve been admitted to my program, what do I do now?

Congratulations on your program admission! It is now important to start working on preparing for the fall semester. The best place to start is by visiting the following pages: 

International Student Resources, Admitted Students

Prepare for Arrival

Request More Information

Contact to see which program could best serve you.

Request Information   Schedule a Virtual Meeting

Attend an Information Session

Learn more about LTI's programs by attending an information session