John S. Gulliver
John S. GulliverProfessor Emeritus, Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering
- B.S., 1974, Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara
- M.S., 1977, Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Ph.D., 1980, Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Professor Emeritus, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geo- Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2021
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1996 - 2021
- Registered Professional Civil Engineer, State of Minnesota, No. 20045, 1992 - 2008
- Head, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1998 - 2007
- Fulbright Scholar, University of Chile, Santiago, 2005
- Director, St. Anthony Falls Laboratory, University of Minnesota, 2003 - 2004
- Acting Head, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1997 -19 98
- Visiting professor, Departmento de Hidraulica Sanoamento Escola de Engenharia de Sao Carlos, Universidade de Sao Paolo, Sao Carlos, Brazil, 1997
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1987 - 1996
- Visiting professor, Institut für Hydrologie und Wasserwirtschaft, Universität Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany, 1994
- Visiting professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Route, La., 1994
- Visiting scientist, Reservoir Water Quality Branch, Hydraulics Laboratory, Waterways Experiment Station, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, Miss., 1990
- Registered professional civil engineer, Minnesota, No. 20045, 1988
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1981 - 1987
- Research associate, University of Minnesota, 1980 - 1981
- Chemical engineer, Federal Power Commission, 1974
Major research interests are mass transport in environmental systems and stormwater pollution prevention. Current research involves the development of technology to treat stormwater runoff, an assessment of stormwater infiltration practices, the prediction of runoff from small, urban watersheds and remediation of internal phosphorus loading in stormwater ponds.
Dr. Gulliver conducts his research at the St. Anthony Falls Laboratory (SAFL).
Honors and Awards
- Hunter T. Rouse Award and Lecture, Environmental and Water Resources Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers. The award recognizes outstanding contributions to hydraulics and waterways, 2020.
- Advisor Award, Council of Graduate Students, University of Minnesota. Award given by the Graduate Student Council for excellence in advising, 2019.
- Environmental Stewardship Award for Innovations in Operations, Award given to the MnDOT/U of MN/MPCA Swales Research Team by the MnDOT Environmental Stewardship Awards & Conference, 2017.
- Richard P. Braun Distinguished Service Award, Center for Transportation Studies, University of Minnesota. Award given annually to a transportation professional for outstanding leadership in research and innovation, 2016.
- Dave Ford Water Resources Award for Outstanding Achievement in Water Resources in Minnesota, Presented by the Planning Committee of the 2013 Minnesota Water Resources Conference, 2013.
- Resident Fellow, Institute on the Environment, University of Minnesota, 2012 – present.
- Minnesota Federation of Engineering and Science Technologist Societies Distinguished Engineer of the Year, 2012.
- Center for Transportation Studies Partnership Award, University of Minnesota, for “Assessment and Recommendation for Operation of Standard Pumps as Best Management Practices for Stormwater Treatment.” The award recognizes research projects that have resulted in significant impacts on transportation, 2011.
- Center for Transportation Faculty Scholar, University of Minnesota, 2007-present
- Fulbright Scholar, U.S. Department of State, July – December, 2005.
- Rickey Medal, 2003. American Society of Civil Engineers, Award given for a career of research and education related to hydroelectric energy.
- Joseph S. and Rose T. Ling Professor of Environmental Engineering, 1999 – 2009.
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1993 - present.
- Rickey Medal, 1990. American Society of Civil Engineers. Award given to the ASCE Technical Committee in recognition of contribution to “Civil Engineering Guidelines for Planning and Designing Hydroelectric Developments.”
Introduction to Chemical Transport in the Environment, by J.S. Gulliver. Cambridge University Press, 2007.
Optimizing Stormwater Treatment Practices: A Handbook of Assessment and Maintenance, by Andrew J. Erickson, Peter T. Weiss and John S. Gulliver. Springer, New York, NY, 2013.
Janke, B.D., Finlay, J.C., Taguchi, V.J. and Gulliver, J.S. (2022). Hydrologic Processes Regulate Nutrient Retention in Stormwater Detention Ponds, Science of the Total Environment, Volume 823, 153722.
Tecca, N.P., Gulliver, J.S. and Nieber, J.L. (2021). Siting Infiltration-Based Stormwater Control Measures using a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Approach, Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment, 7 (2), 04021002. https://doi.org/10.1061/JSWBAY.0000957
Natarajan, P., Gulliver, J.S. and Arnold, W.A. (2021): Iron filings application to reduce lake sediment phosphorus release, Lake and Reservoir Management, 37 (2), 143-159. https://doi.org/10.1080/10402381.2020.1862371
Weiss, Peter T. and Gulliver, John S. (2021). Communicating Green Infrastructure and Stormwater Management Solutions, Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment, 7(4): 02521002. doi: 10.1061/JSWBAY.0000957
Overbo, A., Hegar, S. and Gulliver, J. (2021). Evaluation of chloride contributions from major point and nonpoint sources in a northern U.S. state. Science of the Total Environment, 764, . doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.144179
Tecca, N.P., Gulliver, J.S. and Nieber, J.L. (2021). Siting Infiltration-Based Stormwater Control Measures using a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Approach. Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment, 7(2), . doi: 10.1061/JSWBAY.0000940
Natarajan, P., Gulliver, J.S. and Arnold, W.A. (2021). Iron filings application to reduce lake sediment phosphorus release, Lake and Reservoir Management. 2021. doi: 10.1080/10402381.2020.1862371
Weiss, Peter T. and Gulliver, John S. (2021). Communicating Green Infrastructure and Stormwater Management Solutions. Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment, 7(4): 02521002. doi: 10.1061/JSWBAY.0000957
Taguchi, V.T., Olsen, T., Natarajan, P., Janke, B.D., Gulliver, J.S., Finlay, J.C. and Stefan, H.G. (2020). Internal Loading in Stormwater Ponds as a Phosphorus Source to Downstream Waters. Limnology and Oceanography Letters, 5(4), 322–330. doi: 10.1002/lol2.10155
Gulliver, J.S. (2020). Climate Change Adaptation: Civil and Environmental Engineering Challenge (Editorial). Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 146(12) . doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001850
Moore, T.L., Nieber, J.L., Gulliver, J.S. and Magner, J. (2020). Field investigation of the groundwater contribution to baseflow in an urban stream from a quaternary aquifer with a leaky base. Hydrologic Processes, 34(26), 5512-5527. doi: 10.1002/hyp.13959
Taguchi, V. J., Weiss, P. T., Gulliver, J. S., Klein, M. R., Hozalski, R. M., Baker, L. A., Finlay, J. C., Keeler, B. L. and Nieber, J. L. (2020). It is not easy being green: Recognizing unintended consequences of green stormwater infrastructure. Water (Switzerland). 12(2) 522. doi: 10.3390/w12020522.
Weiss, P. T., Kayhanian, M., Gulliver, J. S. and Khazanovich, L. (2019). Permeable pavement in northern North American urban areas: research review and knowledge gaps. International Journal of Pavement Engineering. 20(2) 143-162. doi: 10.1080/10298436.2017.1279482.
Ebrahimian, A., J.S. Gulliver and B.N. Wilson. (2018). Estimating Effective Impervious Area in Urban Watersheds Using Land Cover, Soil Character and Asymptotic Curve Number, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 63:4, 513-526, doi: 10.1080/02626667.
Nestingen, R., B.C Asleson, J.S. Gulliver, R.M. Hozalski and J.L. Nieber. (2018). Laboratory Comparison of Field Infiltrometers, Journal of Sustainable Water in the Built Environment, 4(3), . doi: 10.1061/JSWBAY.0000857
Garcia-Serrana, M., J.S. Gulliver and J.L. Nieber. (2018). Calculator to Estimate Annual Infiltration Performance of Roadside Swales, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 23(6), . doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0001650
Garcia-Serrana, M., J.S. Gulliver and J.L. Nieber,. (2018). Description of soil micro-topography and fractional wetted area under runoff using fractal dimensions, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, ESP4424, doi: 10.1002/esp.4424.
Witt, A., Gulliver, J. S., & Shen, L. (2018). Numerical investigation of vorticity and bubble clustering in an air entraining hydraulic jump. Computers & Fluids, 172, 162-180. doi: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2018.06.019.
Erickson, A.J., V. Taguchi and J.S. Gulliver. (2018). The Challenge of Maintaining Stormwater Treatment Practices, Sustainability (Switzerland), 10(10), . doi: 10.3390/su10103666
Erickson, A.J., P.T. Weiss and J.S. Gulliver. (2018). Monitoring and Maintenance of Phosphate Adsorbing Filters, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 144(1) . doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001296