Civil, environmental, and geo- engineers provide the infrastructure that protects, sustains, and promotes the welfare, health, and well-being of human kind. To accomplish this mission, it is critical that engineers serve all communities equitably, without bias or discrimination, and call upon and use our collective skills to address issues of diversity and equity in society. Inclusion of and collaboration among people of all cultures and backgrounds drives the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering to deliver teaching, learning, and research that will develop the tools and relationships required to build resilient, inclusive, and diverse communities. As civil, environmental, and geo- engineers, we fundamentally believe that diversity in all forms advances our profession.
The CEGE Diversity & Equity Committee, launched in 2018, works to uphold these values throughout the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering.
Accomplishments & Current Projects
- Collaborated with Boynton Health and the CEGE Graduate Studies Committee to distribute a mental health survey to CEGE graduate students. This data was analysed, presented, and discussed at a mental health community/listening meeting for the graduate program, faculty, and staff. The community meeting included a presentation from D&E Committee members and small group discussion. (Fall 2019)
- Worked with Facility Management to install gender-inclusive restroom menstrual product signage in the Civil Engineering Building. (Fall 2019)
- Coordinated an end-of semester colloquium on the experiences of international graduate students and faculty with the Graduate Studies Committee (Fall 2019)
- Provided training to faculty on inclusive language in teaching (Spring 2019)
- Invited Edgar Arriaga, co-lead of the CSE Diversity & Inclusivity Alliance, to speak as a Warren Lecturer (Spring 2019)
Michelle Anderson (Staff), firstname.lastname@example.org
Ivan Contreras Dalal (Undergraduate Student), email@example.com
Emmanuel Detournay (Committee Chair, Faculty), firstname.lastname@example.org
Erin Surdo (Faculty), email@example.com
Vaughan Voller (Faculty), firstname.lastname@example.org
Jared Voight (Undergraduate Student), email@example.com