The project planning process begins with a conversation.
This process can be rapid or involved, depending on the complexity of the project. Topics include:
- Scientific objectives
- Borehole, Cuttings, or Core
- Locations, access, prep
- Vertical or angled boreholes
- Cuttings disposal
- Downhole logging
- Analyses to be performed; protocol requirements; drilling fluids; tracers
- Expected lithologies—site survey information, existing well logs, outcrops
- Local resources: transportation, fuel, water, food, lodging, heavy equipment, contractors, personnel
- Personnel travel, visas
- Site-specific safety
- Risk management
- Cultural issues
- Outreach activities
- Bureaucratic/political issues
- Budget + contingency
For deep drilling projects, detailed planning documents have been generated by the former DOSECC consortium and by ICDP.
Contact the CSD Facility staff to begin the process.