MAGNON Variable Frequency Susceptibility Meter
The MAGNON VFSM Susceptibility Bridge is on loan to the IRM from MAGNON GmbH, courtesy of Horst Worm.
- Temperature range: room temperature
- AC Field: 0.025 - 0.5 mT (20 - 400 A/m)
- Frequency Range: 30 Hz - 10 kHz
- Sensitivity: 10-5 - 10-7 (SI), depending on frequency, field, environment
- Measurement Time: < 3 sec per measurement. 3-5 min per sample for range of frequencies and amplitudes
The MAGNON VFSM can aid in the characterization of fine-grained (superparamagnetic) magnetic populations through frequency-dependent measurements, as well as help identify some minerals (such as Fe-sulphides and titanomagnetites) which exhibit a field-dependence of susceptibility. The MAGNON VFSM measures both in- and out-of-phase components of susceptibility. It will accomodate samples with a maximum diameter of 35 mm.