Gabbi Horsford named DEI Coordinator
July 2, 2021—On July 7, Gabbi Horsford (she/her) will join the Department of Biomedical Engineering in a newly created Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Coordinator position.
Gabbi completed her Master's of Public Health with a Minor in Health Equity at the University of Minnesota this past spring. During her program she helped develop the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health's DEI Action Team. Her research projects included prevention of violent encounters between police and young Black men, recommendations for developing equitable alcohol policies, and analysis of Minnesota COVID-19 case data.
Prior to her graduate program, Gabbi graduated from the College of Saint Benedict with a BA in Psychology and a Minor in Exercise Science.
Gabbi will bring to this position a wealth of experience in anti-racism education and strategy development, as well as a passion for policy interventions and DEI initiatives. We are so excited to welcome her to the BME team!
Thank you to the search committee
We wish to thank Prof. David Odde and the members of our DEI Coordinator Search Committee, listed below.
This group's work began nearly a year ago, with an ambitious charge to help develop a DEI departmental pledge and plan, craft a position description for the DEI Coordinator role, recruit potential applicants, design a comprehensive review process, and conduct interviews for final candidate selection.
- Professor David Odde (Committee Chair, Faculty Representative)
- Professor Pat Alford (Faculty Representative)
- Sarah Erickson (Staff Representative)
- Nate Benton (Staff Representative)
- Malaney Young (Graduate Student Representative)
- Matt MacEwen (Graduate Student Representative)
- Elizabeth Heile (Undergraduate Student Representative)
- Minwoo Kim (Undergraduate Student Representative)