Integrated bachelor’s & master’s
The program requires completing:
- 124 credits to fulfill Undergraduate Program requirements.
- 30 graduate credits to fulfill Master's requirements.
Students are highly encouraged to find and complete an internship for credit as part of the Master's degree, but it’s not required.
- Having a Master’s degree will make graduates more competitive for higher-paying positions in industrial design.
- Students can simultaneously work toward their undergraduate and graduate degrees, which means they can finish the Master’s degree and enter the job market a full year earlier than students in conventional two-year Master’s programs.
- Students save money because they’re able to complete graduate credits at the undergraduate tuition rate during their senior year.
Below is the basic structure of the five-year program, with the general requirements to be completed during the given year(s).
Years 1-3 (freshman-junior)
Regular BBmE undergraduate curriculum:
- BMEn 1xxx-, 2xxx-, and 3xxx-level coursework.
- College of Science and Engineering requirements.
- Liberal Education requirements.
Summer after Year 3
Application to Integrated BBmE/MS Program:
- See the integrated degree application information and verify all requirements have been met.
- Submit the BBmE/MS application form and the Integrated Degree ESE Planning Worksheet after spring grades post, but no later than June 1.
- Admission notifications will be sent by July 1.
Year 4 (senior)
Complete the BBmE curriculum (approximately 15 credits per semester):
- Senior Design (BMEn 4001W/4002W).
- Engineering and Science Electives.
Additional graduate coursework (3-4 credits per semester; still paying undergraduate tuition rates):
- 8xxx-level internship and/or other course(s) required for the Master's degree.
- This coursework will transfer to the Master's degree. It cannot under any circumstances be counted toward undergraduate requirements.
Graduation (BBmE degree).
Summer after Year 4
Although not required, students in the integrated program are highly encouraged to complete a non-credit internship or gain other relevant work experience between Years 4 and 5.
Visit the Career Center for Science and Engineering for internship search strategies, workshops, and other helpful information.
Note: The department does not place students in internships. It’s up to each individual student to find and secure a position.
Year 5 (Master's)
Complete remaining Master's requirements (and begin paying graduate tuition rates):
- BMEn Core courses and seminars.
- Biology, Technical, and Free Electives.
- Plan B Project or Plan A Thesis credits, if applicable.
- Final oral examination (project defense), if applicable.
Graduation (Master’s degree in BME).
Here are Plan B Project examples of years 4 and 5 of the integrated BBmE/MS degree program, both with and without the optional internship. Students may also choose to do Plan C Coursework or Plan A Thesis instead:
- Sample plan with internship: Student completes a year-long internship for credit (BMEn 8720), which satisfies the Free Elective requirements for the Master’s degree.
- Sample plan without internship: Student doesn’t complete an internship for credit as part of the Master’s degree requirements; satisfies Free Electives with coursework.