Travel Grants


The Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering travel grant will provide up to $500 to present at conferences relating to your graduate work.

All requests are approved by the Director of Graduate Studies.

Master level students can receive up to ONE travel grant during the course of their degree program.

Doctoral level students can receive up to TWO travel grants during the course of their degree program.


  • The presentation must have been accepted by the conference when the application is submitted.
  • Travel grants MUST be turned in before the travel takes place.
  • You must be a current graduate student taking credits during the time of your travel.
  • You can't be registered for GRAD 999 and get a travel award.
  • Travel grants can be awarded in the fall,spring, or summer.
  • If a summer grant is awarded – the student will be required to enroll in GRAD 4999. The graduate program coordinator will be doing this. Grad 4999 is a zero credit, zero tuition course registration. This allows for the reimbursement to be uploaded into your student account.

Award Details

  • The travel grant will be applied to your student account ONLY.
  • All travel expenses must be paid up front by you.
  • The award must be used for the conference on your application. It can't be transferred to attend another conference. The grant will become invalid and you will lose your award. A new application must be filled out and approved by the DGS to attend the new conference.
  • Travel grants will not be reimbursed to adviser's research or discretionary accounts.
  • The graduate program coordinator will email you once your application is approved.


Reimbursement details and directions for the CEGE Travel Grant:

  • As soon as you have paid up to $500 worth of expenses for your travel, you can turn in the receipts to the graduate program coordinator via email or stopping by their office CivE 143.
  • The graduate program coordinator will post the travel award to your student account.
  • Receipts for the travel grant MUST be turned into graduate program coordinator ONLY.
  • Travel grants will not be reimbursed to adviser's research or discretionary accounts.
  •  If your adviser is paying for the rest of your conference out of their research or discretionary accounts, you should fill out Chrome River – The University’s official reimbursement system.
  • Travel expenses in excess of the travel grant awarded MUST be turned into Chrome River.
  • Do not put both reimbursements in Chrome River.

Travel Expenses in Excess of the Travel Grant

Do this if your advisor is using any of his research or discretionary accounts to help pay for your conference costs.
This is in excess of your travel grant.

  • Log into your MyU.
  • Go to your Key Links and find U travel.
  • Complete the Chrome River Reimbursement within 30 days of the trip return date.

Application and Review Process

To complete the application process you must do the following:

  • Fill out the Travel Grant Application - can also be found in the graduate handbook in the forms section.
  • Supporting documentation includes a copy of the acceptance to present your work (the DGS needs to see the full original confirmation. Do NOT cut and paste.)

All applications must be complete to be reviewed. Email the application and supporting documentation in one pdf document to

The DGS will review the application and make a decision to accept or deny your application.

The graduate program coordinator will email you once the decision is made with further instructions.


  • Deadlines are on rolling basis