We seek to uncover the mechanistic details of chemical reactions that liberate energy and harness chemical potential to drive synthesis of new fuels and next generation materials. Our faculty bridge chemistry, materials science, and engineering to find chemical solutions to the globally relevant topics of energy and catalysis.
Some of our research topics include:
- synthesis of molecules and nanoparticles for applications in solar energy conversion;
- identifying mechanistic details by computational methods and simulations;
- mixed-metal organometallic synthesis for homogeneous catalysis;
- synthesis of complexes that mimic biological enzymes;
- time-resolved spectroscopy of electron transfer events;
- design and characterization of 2D electronic materials; and
- molecular dynamics simulations of carbon capture materials.