We are committed to Accessibility, Justice, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The School of Earth & Environmental Sciences is a community of people from many cultures and social backgrounds. We collaborate to create an inclusive environment in which all feel welcome and supported.
We are committed – as individuals and as a School – to respect and foster diversity, which is a powerful force for positive change in our community and beyond. We have important work to do together as Earth and environmental scientists.
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee leads education and other training initiatives and activities, provides information and advice to members of the School, and helps determine goals and evaluate progress in promoting DEI values. DEI activities are central to everything we do: teaching in classrooms, labs, and field; mentoring and advising; research in all its forms; and many other aspects of our work in the School.
Examples of DEI activities in the School of Earth & Environmental Sciences in 2020-21
- JEDI seminars on topics such as environmental justice, geo-ethics, natural resource management and equity in indigenous communities, tribal partnerships in research, poverty-informed practices in higher education
- Inclusive teaching workshop (half-day retreat for all departmental instructors), January 2021
- Many people in the School are champions of the College of Science & Engineering’s Diversity & Inclusivity Alliance
- UMN-TC Earth & Environmental Sciences is a committed participant of URGE*!
From the URGE website: "URGE is a community-wide journal-reading and policy-design curriculum to help diversify the Geosciences. Participants will engage in eight two-week units that incorporate readings, interviews with experts, and discussions focused on learning about and implementing efficient anti-racist strategies."
Sessions and topics
1) Racism and Definitions
2) Racism and Individuals
3) Racism and History
4) Racism and Justice
5) Racism and Accessibility
6) Racism and Inclusivity
7) Racism and Self Care
8) Racism and Accountability
The School of Earth & Environmental Sciences has three URGE ‘pods’: UMN (Bio)geochemistry, Breccia, and Eclogite.