Drupal's Categories feature provides a way to group content together so that users can more easily navigate between related pages, news, and events. For example, basic pages include a "More About" section, which is automatically populated by links to other pages in the same category. You can select categories for pages, events, or news items in your edit window's "Department" tab.
You can also categorize photos and videos as you upload them in order to better organize your media library.
How to create categories
1. Navigate to your Site Management. There, you'll find the Categories section of quick links.
2. Select the link for the categories of content type you'd like to manage.
3. Select "+Add category" at the top of the page.
4. Fill out the category name and display title. The display title is only seen on the internal list of categories and won't be seen by the website users. If you are creating subcategories, use slashes within the name. For example, if you have the overarching category of "Students" but want to have the subcategory of "Academic Advising" within that category, fill out the name as "Students / Academic Advising."
5. Click save. The newly created category should now appear in the "Departments" tab of your window when editing pages, events, or news.