Images and media
To learn how to upload and add images to a page in Drupal, revisit the CSE Drupal Canvas Training.
If you need access to the Canvas course, email email@example.com and request to be added.
Customizable Image Settings
Images added to a page using the Media Library button in the CKEditor allow for some display settings to be customized.
Click Edit media above your image to customize settings.
- Alternative Text (Alt Text) lets you add a brief description of the image for accessibility. This should always be filled out unless the image is for decorative purposes only. Learn more about Alternative Text from Accessible U.
- Display dropdown menu lets you select the image embed size.
- Align radio buttons lets you select the image alignment on the page.
- Checking the Caption checkbox allow a caption to be added below the image.
- Click the Enter caption here text so that the field is highlighted in blue.
- Start typing your caption.
Featured and Widget Images
You can also add images within widgets or to a basic page using the Add Media button, which appears in the Featured Image section of the Images edit tab on basic pages and in multiple widgets including the Portal Group and Carousel widgets. will appear with predefined display settings. Review the recommended image sizes for predefined images.
Change a Featured or Widget Image
Once an image is selected, the Add Media button will be replaced with a preview of the selected image.
- To change the image, click the x button on the upper right of the image.
- The image will be removed allowing you to select a different image.
Change the Focal Point of an Image
You can change the focal point of an image you upload to the site so that it centers properly in widgets that crop the image such as the People Highlight Group or Department News widgets.
NOTE: Changing the focal point of an image will change it site-wide. Be careful if you reuse an image across your site.
- Click View All Media on the Site Management Dashboard.
- Find the image you want to adjust the focal point for.
- Click Edit next to the image. You will be taken to the edit image page.
- At the top of the page, there will be a thumbnail preview of the image with crosshairs on it. By default the focal point crosshairs are in the center of the image.
- Click where you want the new focal point of the image to be.
- Save the image settings.