Plan C for M.S.C.E./M.S.Geo.E.
The Master of Science Plan C is a coursework-only program and requires completion of at least 30 credits of coursework, which must include
- at least two courses at the 8xxx level,
- at least 100 hours of work on class projects,
- a course in which an oral presentation (minimum 10 minutes) is delivered, and
- at least two hours of ethics training. (CITI ethics course counts)
Courses that meet Plan C project, oral presentation, and ethics requirements are listed in the forms section of the CEGE Graduate Handbook.
Coursework for the Graduate Degree Plan is selected in consultation with the faculty advisor, to meet the needs and interests of the student. All Graduate Degree Plans must be approved by the Director of Graduate Studies.
For additional details on program requirements and milestones, consult the CEGE Graduate Handbook.
Plan C must include a minimum of 30 Credits:
- Course Credits: 20-30 credits
- 12 credits have to be CEGE credits
- course credits start from the first semester you register in your program
- graduate credits consist of 5xxx and 8xxx level classes
- course credits can include 4xxx level credits subject to the 4xxx credit rule
- a maximum of nine 4xxx level course credits may be used to satisfy degree requirements
- partial credits from a course are not accepted
- Transfer Credits: up to 10 credits
- Not required to bring in transfer credits
- all coursework can be taken in CEGE or at the University of Minnesota
- if you are going to transfer coursework credits, the CEGE transfer coursework credits form must be filled out completely and turned in along with the transcript the coursework is being transferred from. The form can be found in the CEGE graduate handbook in the forms section. The two documents must be turned into the program cordinator in CivE 143 or at email@example.com
- Transfer credits include:
- non-degree seeking credits taken from the University of Minnesota
- courses from another institution
- courses taken from another graduate program at the University of Minnesota (credits in common rule (8))
- graduate level credits taken in the undergraduate program
- graduate credits are only allowed if the student is able to provide evidence (in the form of a letter from the undergraduate advisor or university) stating that the course(s) to be transferred (1) was not necessary for the undergraduate degree and (2) the the work done was at the graduate level.
- if the courses were taken at the University of Minnesota, then you need to fill out the Transfer Credits from Undergraduate to Gradaute Career Form
At least 2 courses at the 8XXX level must be completed.
Courses that can’t be used for the 8xxx level requirement are the seminar courses: CEGE 8200, CEGE 8300, CEGE 8400, CEGE 8500 and the ethics course CEGE 8581/WRS 8581.
The student must complete a minimum of 100 hours of project work in increments of 40 hours per project or greater. The projects are to be performed as part of specific courses in civil engineering and geoengineering that comply with the M.S. Plan C project requirements. See the forms section of the gradaute handbook (Plan C Requirement List). If there are classes that are not on the list you want to use and have project hours, please attach the syllabus to the tracking form. If you don’t know which courses have project hours you can reach out to the instructor teaching the course and ask.
Students enrolled in the M.S. Plan C option must also complete two hours of Ethics training before they graduate. The Citi Ethics online training can be used to complete this requirement. This is a requirements upon enrollment your first semester as a grad student.