How to Apply


The University of Minnesota Office of Admissions handles all applications for undergraduate admission into the College of Science and Engineering (CSE).

All freshmen enter CSE, where they spend their first two years taking foundational math and science courses. Lower-division students can specify a major for course planning purposes, but do not officially become majors in a department until they apply for admission to upper division.


Transfer Students

Many undergraduates begin their studies at two- or four-year schools and transfer into the program as juniors or seniors. The Office of Admissions handles all transfer applications into the College of Science and Engineering.

Transferring credit 

Applying for a Major

Admission to a major in the College of Science and Engineering is a competitive process based on the successful completion of specific technical courses and a grade point average (GPA) based on technical courses (the technical GPA).

Students who have completed the necessary technical courses and have a 3.2 or above technical GPA by the end of fall semester of their sophomore year will be guaranteed admission to their intended major. All other students who have completed the necessary technical coursework for their intended major (as identified by each department) will be considered for admission to their intended major on a space-available basis.

Students who are not admitted to their intended major should work closely with their college academic advisors to determine their next steps and future options.