Closed Math Course Registration
Qualifications to Receive Permission to Enter a Closed Math Class
- Student is able to register immediately for the class requested (at proper date/time in registration queue);
- No active holds prevent immediate registration;
- Prerequisite course(s) are successfully completed;
- If no prerequisite course for a lower level Math course (MATH 1001, 1031, 1051, 1151, 1142, 1271, 1371), a current U of M online placement test score may be used to indicate readiness; email email@example.com to request set-up of Math placement testing;
- No time conflicts with other classes;
- As of the 1st day of the 2nd week of classes, instructor approval is needed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Request is received well before the term's census date (1st day of 3rd week of classes);
- As of (and immediately preceding) the census date (1st day of 3rd week of classes), all change requests must be made by the student via petition to the student's college.
How to Request Permission to Enter a Closed Math Class
Send an email only from your UMNTC student email account to email@example.com with this information:
In the subject line of the email include:
- 4-digit course number (Ex. Math 1001)
- and term (Spring 2021)
In the main text of the email Include:
- your Student Name and
- U of M ID number (if you have one)
For each section of each course include:
- Course Number (Ex.: Math 1001)
- Section Number (Ex.: 012)
- Class number (5-digit Ex.: 12345)
- Reason(s) why you can't register to open section(s) in course(s)
Without this information, the reply to your email will be a request to provide the missing information. Permission requests for math classes will not be considered until the registration queue begins.
Time Line for Receiving Permission or Denial Message
- Allow a minimum of 3 (three) business days (M-F) for reply after sending your request.
- High volumes of permissions requests may require longer wait times.
- Please do not inquire about the status of your request until at least 5 (five) business days (M-F) after sending your request.
- Permission to enter a closed/restricted section is active only for a specified time. The deadline date to register by permission is included in our email response to your request.
Delays in Processing Request for Permission to Enter a Closed Math Class
- Missing information needed to process request;
- Multiple requests for same class from same individual (increases volume of requests);
- High volume of requests
Denial of Request for Permission to Enter a Closed Math Course
- Maximum enrollment cap for class has been reached;
- Student does not have prerequisite requirement(s);
- Student does not meet the criteria of the priority seating;
- Student is not able to register when request is received (either due to an active hold on student's record or student's registration queue date is later);
- Student has multiple conflicting requests