Closed Math Course Registration
Qualifications to Receive Permission to Enter a Closed Math Class
- Student is able to register immediately for the class requested (at proper date/time in registration queue);
- No active holds prevent immediate registration;
- Prerequisite course(s) are successfully completed;
- If no prerequisite course for a lower level Math course (MATH 1001, 1031, 1051, 1151, 1142, 1271, 1371), a current U of M online placement test score may be used to indicate readiness; email email@example.com to request set-up of Math placement testing;
- No time conflicts with other classes;
- Request is received well before the term's census date (1st day of 3rd week of classes); as of (and immediately preceding) the census date, all change requests must be made by the student via petition to the student's college.
How to Request Permission to Enter a Closed Math Class
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with this information:
In the subject line of the email include:
- 4-digit course number (Ex. Math 1001)
- and term (Spring 2021)
In the main text of the email Include:
- your Student Name and
- U of M ID number (if you have one)
For each section of each course include:
- Course Number (Ex.: Math 1001)
- Section Number (Ex.: 012)
- Class number (5-digit Ex.: 12345)
- Reason(s) why you can't register to open section(s) in course(s)
Without this information, the reply to your email will be a request to provide the missing information. Permission requests for math classes will not be considered until the registration queue begins.
Time Line for Receiving Permission or Denial Message
- Allow a minimum of 3 (three) business days (M-F) for reply after sending your request.
- High volumes of permissions requests may require longer wait times.
- Please do not inquire about the status of your request until at least 5 (five) business days (M-F) after sending your request.
- Permission to enter a closed/restricted section is active only for a specified time. The deadline date to register by permission is included in our email response to your request.
Delays in Processing Request for Permission to Enter a Closed Math Class
- Missing information needed to process request;
- Multiple requests for same class from same individual (increases volume of requests);
- High volume of requests
Denial of Request for Permission to Enter a Closed Math Course
- Maximum enrollment cap for class has been reached;
- Student does not have prerequisite requirement(s);
- Student does not meet the criteria of the priority seating;
- Student is not able to register when request is received (either due to an active hold on student's record or student's registration queue date is later);
- Student has multiple conflicting requests