Mathematics PhD program
#19 U.S. News & World Report ranking
Pursue your passion for math through the University of Minnesota’s PhD in Mathematics program.
Full range of mathematics
With research spanning the complete spectrum of mathematics, our 60+ faculty have the expertise to help you maximize your potential. Our faculty:
- Give students a broad understanding of all areas of mathematics.
- Serve as mentors and guides to support your individual research pursuits.
- Conduct cutting-edge research.
- Hold national and international leadership positions.
There are two coursework approaches for obtaining a Mathematics PhD in Minnesota:
Focuses on proofs, theorems, and abstract concepts.
Mathematics with Emphasis in Applied and Industrial Mathematics
Uses math to solve real-world problems.
All PhD students are expected to earn a Master’s degree upon the completion of their preliminary oral examinations.
Our active, close-knit community helps students grow and flourish.
You’ll have abundant opportunities to:
- Receive support from mentors, advisors, peers, and alumni.
- Get involved.
- Interact with other students.
“We’re proud to have a culture that’s cooperative, not competitive. Students coach one another for their preliminary written examinations, which has helped lead to a 95% exam success rate.”Richard McGehee, Director of Graduate Studies
Dynamic urban environment
We’re situated on a sprawling campus, surrounded by vibrant urban neighborhoods. The Minneapolis-St. Paul area is known for its:
- Lively scene for dining, culture, arts, and recreation.
- Abundant trails, parks, and waterways, including several lakes and the Mississippi River.
- High quality of life.
- Thriving economy that features a diverse mix of industries and ample opportunities for graduates.
Tuition, benefits, and financial assistance
Our PhD program is fully funded. Everyone we accept receives an offer of financial support, usually in the form of a teaching assistantship.