AEM News features the stories of students, faculty, and alumni from the Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics at the University of Minnesota.
(2021-3-1) Pandemic Doesn't Stop Nasa or Interns
(2021-2-27) AEM Alum Speaks on Mars Mission
(2021-2-26) Faster than the Speed of Sound
- (2020-12-11) Professor Richard James Receives TechConnect Innovation Award
- (2020-12-03) Building a Brighter Future with Robotics
- (2020-11-25) Student Teams Update
- (2020-11-23) Can Truth Save Democracy? We’re Trying in Science Court (video link)
- (2020-11-16) Closer to Flying Cars
- (2020-11-13) Lunch & Learn: Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics
- (2020-11-11) Synthetic Sensors Bolster 737 Max
- (2020-11-05) AEM Alumnus, Jerald Swenson, Passes Away
- (2020-10-29) Collaborative UMN research team awarded $1.13 million from NSF
- (2020-10-28) Professor Graham Candler Plays Leading Role in US DoD University Consortium for Applied Hypersonics
- (2020-10-14) Don Piccard, Pioneer who Soared, is Dead at 94
- (2020-10-05) Can Truth Save Democracy? We're Trying in Science Court
- (2020-09-15) AEM Students Complete Summer Internship
- (2020-08-07) Ten courses that will blow your mind (including AEM Ballooning: Design, Build, and Fly)
- (2020-07-02) Congratulations Graduates!
- (2020-07-02) Congratulations Graduates (Undergraduates)!
- (2020-06-23) CanSat Team Competes in Competition
- (2020-06-19) U.S. DoD Funds Professor Maziar Hemati's Research Project
- (2020-06-09) Professor John Weyrauch Retires
- (2020-05-18) Outstanding Student, Yi Hui Tee, Receives Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- (2020-05-15) Doctoral Student, Rong Ma, Received 2020-21 Amelia Earhart Fellowship
- (2020-05-11) 2020 John and Jane Dunning Copper Fellows
- (2020-05-04) UMN Design, Build, Fly Team Ties for 11th
- (2020-03-31) RASC-AL Team Makes it to Finals
- (2020-03-02) SOCRATES in Orbit
- (2020-02-19) Professor Graham Candler Elected to the National Academy of Engineering
- (2020-01-29) Professor Demoz Gebre-Egziabher Presented Samuel M. Burka Award
- (2020-01-14) William Elke lll is one of 19 to be Awarded NASA Fellowship
- (2020-01-13) Professor Maziar Hemati Receives NSF Career Award
- (2020-01-13) Drones Take Flight
- (2019-12-13) UMN Students Win 2019 Bayer Alka-Rocket Challenge
- (2019-12-09) Anil Bajaj Receives Caughey Dynamics Award
- (2019-11-25) Luci Baker Accepts Silberman Award
- (2019-11-15) Professor Thomas Shield Retires
- (2019-11-13) Rocket Team Works on Improvements for Competitions
- (2019-11-01) AEM Hosts Annual Career Panel
- (2019-10-28) Geoffrey Magda honored for AEM internship work with Ryan Elliott
- (2019-10-22) UAV Research Group Combats Invasive Species
- (2019-10-17) CSE Students Ship Satellite to NASA
- (2019-10-10) Michele Brekke: Breaking Through the Aerospace Industry
- (2019-10-07) Prominent Alumnus, Donor, and Engineer, J. Leonard Frame, Passes Away
- (2019-10-01) UMN Student Organization, AIAA, Kicks Off Another Year
- (2019-09-19) Solar Vehicle Project Gears Up for Another Year
- (2019-09-06) Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle Lab
- (2019-09-04) Welcome AEM Students!
- (2019-08-19) Professors Nichols & Coletti Promoted
- (2019-07-24) AEM Alumni Reunion - Class of 1969
- (2019-07-23) Professor Emeritus, Bill Garrard, Interviews with ABC on Apollo 11
- (2019-07-16) Professor Coletti to Lead NSF Grant
- (2019-07-16) Rocket Team Conducts Successful Flight
- (2019-07-08) UMN Alumna, Kelly Stephani, Awarded PECASE
- (2019-07-07) Seagate Donation
- (2019-06-06) Solving Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Problems
- (2019-05-22) Take it to Science Court
- (2019-05-16) Professor James Receives Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellowship
- (2019-05-13) AEM Graduate, Chad Rowe, will be the Next Space Grant Project Manager
- (2019-05-13) UMN Hosts Successful 2019 AIAA Region V Student Paper Conference
- (2019-05-13) AEM Ph.D Candidates Awarded John and Jane Dunning Copper Fellowships
- (2019-05-08) AEM Graduate, Manash Chakraborty, Wins Travel Award
- (2019-05-07) AEM Department Mourns the Loss of Professor Emeritus Robert Plunkett
- (2019-05-06) BAEM Pre-Commencement Reception
- (2019-04-26) UMN AEM Seniors Prepare for Graduation and Offer Freshman Advice
- (2019-04-15) Department Alumnus, Thomas Madison, has Passed Away
- (2019-04-12) AEM Alumna reflects on her Career and Inspires People to Enter the Cybersecurity Field
- (2019-03-18) Science Court Q&A with Tadmor & Star Tribune
- (2019-03-08) Professor Seiler Honored with Russell J. Penrose Faculty Fellow
- (2019-03-17) UMN Rocket Team wins 2018 Alka-Rocket Competition for Safe Recovery
- (2019-02-22) Retired AEM Professor Celebrates 100th Birthday
- (2019-01-28) Roger D. Launius Presentation on Space Exploration
- (2019-01-11) Rachael Winiecki makes History by becoming First Female F35 Developmental Test Pilot
(2018-12-17) Freshman and Fly R/C Airships
(2018-11-14) James Flaten Interviews with Fox on Insight Lander
(2018-11-14) AEM Undergraduates who Received Scholarships
(2018-11-02) Dr. Kaushik Bhattacharya Honored with OAA.
(2018-10-26) First Lego League Event.
(2018-9-13) Dr. Kaushik Bhattacharya Nominated for the OAA.
(2018-5-30) Professor Richard James will be Presenting a Lecture, 'Atomistically Inspired Origami,' with Oxford Mathematics Public Lectures- Hooke Lecture on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 FROM 12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M. CDT.
(2018-5-3) Bruce R. White. has Passed Away on April 25, 2018 at the Age of 69 after a Brief Illness. White Obtained his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in Aerospace Engineering From the University of Minnesota in 1971 and 1972.
(2018-3-14) Join us on Monday, April 30, for a Special Lecture by Colonel Pamela Melroy, USAF RET. And Former NASA Astronaut, for CSE Students and Faculty about her Background, Experiences, with USAF and NASA and Answer Questions.
(2017-12-21) One of this Semester's Senior Design Teams, Asteroid Deflection Team 2, Entered their Project in the Analytical Graphics, Inc. (AGI) EAP University Grant Competition and Received Second Place for the Fall Competition.
(2017-12-20) University of Minnesota Student Members of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) are Currently in the Process of Preparing AIAA's Design, Build, Fly Competition that will be held April 19-22, 2018.
(2017-12-19) Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Professor Graham Candler will be Giving the Distinguished Dryden Lecture in Research at the American Institute of Aeronautics (AIAA) Science and Technology Forum and Exposition.
(2017-12-11) Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics First-Year Students from AEM 1805: Introduction to Spaceflight and Stratospheric Ballooning, will be Showcasing Projects they have been Working During their First Semester.
(2017-12-1) Aerospace Engineering and mechanics Alumnus Ramesh Agarwal Recently Received an Honorary Membership from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) in Recognition of his Lifetime Achievements.
(2017-11-13) Associate Professor Ryan S. Elliot was Named a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). He is one of a Select Number of 3,521 who have Attained the Grade of Fellow Among Over 106, 993 Members.
(2017-9-29)This Academic Year, Twenty-Three Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics (AEM) Students were Awarded Undergraduate Scholarships and Five Graduate Students were Awarded Fellowships Based on their Financial Needs and Academic Merit.
(2017-07-13) On July 6, 2017 a Group of Middle School Girls Joined Members of the University of Minnesota Stratospheric Ballooning Team to take on the Challenge of Building and Test Dropping Parachutes.
(2017-07-05) A Collaboration Between the University of Arizona and the University of Minnesota has Resulted in a Unique Solution to the Orbital Debris Problem; An Optical Telescope with the Ability to Track Space Debris and Satellites.
(2017-05-26) AEM has Awarded Three PH.D. Candidates the John and Jane Dunning Copper Fellowship. The Fellowship is Awarded to Students who have an Outstanding Academic Record and Who Demonstrate a Strong Aptitude in their Field of Study.
(2017-05-24) Students in the AEM All-Freshman Course, "Introduction to Cubesats," Spent their Spring Semester Designing, Building, and Flying Devices that Look and Operate like Functional Picosatellites Called Cubesats.
(2017-05-22) AEM is Proud to have Eleven Faculty Members- Richard James, Ryan Elliot, Ellen Longmire, Demoz Gebre-Egziabher, Graham Candler, Filippo Coletti, Ellad Tadmor, Peter Seiler, Thomas Schwartzentruber, John Weyrauch, and Roger Fosdick
(2016-07-11) The Work of the University of Minnesota Flexible Aircraft (PAWW) Program was Highlighted in a Recent Article in Aviation Week, Titled "Flexible, Slender, Active Wings Lie Ahead for Airliners."
(2016-07-05) AEMDepartment is Proud to Announce that a Senior Design Team from AEM 4333, The Scalable Lunar Ice Propellant Manufacture Through Modularity Team, Took Home a First Place Award at the NASA RASCAL Collegiate Design and Innovation Challenge.
(2016-06-15) The U Rocket Team is Set to Compete in the Annual Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition from June 15-18 in Green River, Utah. Each Year, the Team Designs its Rockets in the Fall and Builds them throughout the Spring Semester.
(2016-06-02) Frank David Werner Sr., A Distinguished Inventor and Engineer, Passed Away on Saturday, May 7, at the Age of 94. He Received a M.S. and PH.D. in Aeronautical Engineering at the University of Minnesota.
(2016-05-25) The Institute on the Environment's Renewable Electricity for Minnesota's Future Grant Program has Awarded $717,360 Each to Four Collaborative Research Initiatives, Three of Which Feature a Member of the Aerospace Engineering Faculty.
(2016-05-24) On May 13, 2016, The AEM Department Hosted a Pre-Commencement Reception for the Graduates of the Class of 2016. To See Pictures from the Reception and of the Senior Design Teams Click Here.
(2016-05-17) The 2016 Region V Student Conference was Hosted by the Iowa State University Student Branch of AIAA in Ames, IA on April 6-8, 2016. AEM Undergraduate Students, Apura Badithela Submitted a Presentation for the Community Outreach Category.
(2016-04-21) On Friday Evening, April 15, And Saturday, April 16, NASA's MN Space Grant Consortium (MNSGC), Which is Led From the AEM Department, Hosted the 2015-2016 MNSGC Community College Quadcopter Challenge
(2016-02-29) Dr. Ajit K. Roy, of the Air Force Research Laboratory's (AFRL) Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, was Recently Named a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIIA).
(2016-02-22) Adam Creuziger, A 2002 Graduate of the Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Department, was Named by President Obama as one of the 2016 Recipients of the Presidential Early Career Award for Engineers.
(2015-10-28) NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center Engineers are Working on an Aircraft Called the Preliminary Research Aerodynamic Design to Lower Drag, Which Resembles a Boomrang and Could Lead to an 11-Percent Reduction in Fuel Consumption.
(2015-07-28) This Article in the Star Tribune Discusses the Use of UAVs in Agriculture for Detecting Pests, Monitoring Hydration and Growth Rates, Scan Crops for Health Problems and Locate Disease Problems.
(2015-05-22 NASA’S MN Space Grant, Led from the AEM Department, and Tripoli MN, a High-Power Rocketry Club, Collaborated to Run the 2014-2015 Space Grant Midwest Rocketry Competition on May 19 and 20, 2015.
(2015-05-01)The Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Senior Design Team- Gophers- Took Part in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) AERO Design West Competition in Van Nuys California on April 24-26
(2015-02-04) The Institute of Navigation (ION) Presented Dr. Hamid Mokhtarzadeh, AEM Postdoctoral Associate, and Dr. Demoz Gebre-Egziahber, AEM's Director of Graduate Studies, with the Dr. Samuel M. Burka Award.
Previous events within the Department of Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics or College of Science & Engineering at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.
(2019-12-10) Lighter-Than-Air RC Vehicle Exhibit - AEM 1301 freshman seminar on Lighter-Than-Air RC Vehicles will be exhibiting their hardware & flight videos! Swing by to ask them about their experiences with lighter-than-air vehicles!
- (2019-11-26) Science Court Discussion & Verdict: Nuclear Power. Join Science Court for its final verdict and public discussion on whether the U.S. government should increase funding for the development and construction of nuclear power plants with the aim of significantly increasing nuclear power use.
- (2019-11-23) Science Court: Trial. Join Science Court for its debate and trial on whether the U.S. government should increase funding for the development and construction of nuclear power plants with the aim of significantly increasing nuclear power use.
- (2019-10-11) Minnesota Institute for Astrophysics Public Telescope Viewing Have the chance to observe some of the same celestial objects that have inspired sky-gazers throughout history!
- (2019-10-11) AEM Seminar: Mechanical Coupling in Soft Biological Tissues: A New Force Driving Growth and Remodeling Every soft biological tissue is, in essence, a composite material. Within each tissue, multiple constituents can be found, such as cells, collagen and elastin fibers, and glycosaminoglycans / proteoglycans.
- (2019-10-04) Michele Brekke: Meet & Greet
AEM Alumna, flight manager for Boeing CST-100 Starliner operational missions, and UMN-TC 2019 Grand Marshal, Michele Brekke will be doing a meet & greet and sharing her journey through her career. She will be taking questions afterwards so don't miss this opportunity!
- (2019-09-24)Next Season of Science Court
Vote for your favorite case for the next season of Science Court! This event is free and no registration is required.
- (2019-09-16/17) 11th Ablation Workshop
The AblationWorkshop provides a single meeting point for integration and advancement of a multi-disciplinary research community of scientists and engineers working on aerothermodynamic ablation.
- (2019-09-06) JCPenney Suit-Up Event
This event helps you get discounted career clothing. It is open to current University of Minnesota undergraduate and graduate students, their families, and alumni.
- (2019-08-22) STEM Day at the Fair
Several University of Minnesota science and engineering faculty, staff, and students are involved in STEM Day at the Fair. You can program robots, design features for a State Fair building, explore bioremediation, track wild animals, learn about the physics of flight, play with air pressure and rocketry, challenge your math skills with hands-on activities, and more!