AEM News & Events Archives
News Articles by Year
AEM news features the stories of students, faculty, and alumni from the Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics at the University of Minnesota.
- (2021-12-15-21) Department Mourns the Loss of Thomas S. Lundgren
- (2021-12-11-21) AFRL Selects University of Minnesota for Prestigious Satellite Program
- (2021-12-9-21) Researchers find new way to manipulate properties of ultrathin semiconductors
- (2021-11-13) Exploding and Weeping Ceramics Provide Path to New Shape-Shifting Material
- (2021-10-18) A Mass-optimized Gravity Tractor for Asteroid Deflection
- (2021-10-4) Maziar Hemati selected for George W. Taylor Career Development Award
- (2021-9-28) Maziar Hemati Elected Associate Fellow of AIAA
- (2021-9-20) Canister Satellite Team Developing Engineers
- (2021-9-10) High Speed Drone Racing
- (2021-9-1) MN Space Grant Exhibit at STEM Day at the State Fair
- (2021-8-27) Space System Design Competition: Engineers Solving Real World Problems
- (2021-8-23) Rocket Team: An Experience Out of this World
- (2021-7-9) Department Mourns the Loss of Professor Emeritus Jerald Ericksen
- (2021-7-8) UMN Students Win 2021 Virtual Spaceport America Cup
- (2021-7-6) GPS & GNSS Expert to Join Faculty this Fall
- (2021-7-2) UMN students win Minnesota State Collegiate Drone Sports Championship
- (2021-7-1) AEM Family and Friends Enjoy Outing with the Saints
- (2021-6-30) AEM Alumnus Featured in Forbes Magazine
- (2021-6-28) Fluid Mechanics Expert to Join this Fall
- (2021-6-25) AEM Student Receives Prestigious Astronaut Award
- (2021-6-21) AEM Student Elected to MSROP
- (2021-6-16) AEM Student Receives MnDRIVE PhD Graduate Assistantship
- (2021-6-4) Professor Maziar Hemati Promoted to Associate Professor
- (2021-5-24) 2021 John and Jane Dunning Copper Fellows
- (2021-5-6) Mandatory Service: Science Court Verdict In
- (2021-5-3) AEM Professor Ryan Caverly Receives DEPSCoR Award
- (2021-4-22) AEM student awarded prestigious NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- (2021-4-15) CSE student and future astronaut shoots for the stars
- (2021-4-15) These technologies are speeding COVID-19 vaccines to market
- (2021-4-5) Advanced Computational Center for Entry System Simulation (ACCESS)
- (2021-3-1) Pandemic Doesn't Stop Nasa or Interns
- (2021-2-27) AEM Alum Speaks on Mars Mission
- (2021-2-26) Faster than the Speed of Sound
- (2021-2-15) AEM alumnus researches the use of robotics in space
- (2021-1-29) Demoz Gebre-Egziabher Elected to Institute of Navigation 2021 Fellow Membership
- (2021-1-11) Researchers develop new one-step process for creating self-assembled metamaterials
- (2020-12-11) Professor Richard James Receives TechConnect Innovation Award
- (2020-12-03) Building a Brighter Future with Robotics
- (2020-11-25) Student Teams Update
- (2020-11-23) Can Truth Save Democracy? We’re Trying in Science Court (video link)
- (2020-11-16) Closer to Flying Cars
- (2020-11-13) Lunch & Learn: Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics
- (2020-11-11) Synthetic Sensors Bolster 737 Max
- (2020-11-05) AEM Alumnus, Jerald Swenson, Passes Away
- (2020-10-29) Collaborative UMN research team awarded $1.13 million from NSF
- (2020-10-28) Professor Graham Candler Plays Leading Role in US DoD University Consortium for Applied Hypersonics
- (2020-10-14) Don Piccard, Pioneer who Soared, is Dead at 94
- (2020-10-05) Can Truth Save Democracy? We're Trying in Science Court
- (2020-09-15) AEM Students Complete Summer Internship
- (2020-08-07) Ten courses that will blow your mind (including AEM Ballooning: Design, Build, and Fly)
- (2020-06-23) CanSat Team Competes in Competition
- (2020-06-19) U.S. DoD Funds Professor Maziar Hemati's Research Project
- (2020-06-09) Professor John Weyrauch Retires
- (2020-05-18) Outstanding Student, Yi Hui Tee, Receives Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- (2020-05-15) Doctoral Student, Rong Ma, Received 2020-21 Amelia Earhart Fellowship
- (2020-05-11) 2020 John and Jane Dunning Copper Fellows
- (2020-05-04) UMN Design, Build, Fly Team Ties for 11th
- (2020-03-31) RASC-AL Team Makes it to Finals
- (2020-03-02) SOCRATES in Orbit
- (2020-02-19) Professor Graham Candler Elected to the National Academy of Engineering
- (2020-01-29) Professor Demoz Gebre-Egziabher Presented Samuel M. Burka Award
- (2020-01-14) William Elke lll is one of 19 to be Awarded NASA Fellowship
- (2020-01-13) Professor Maziar Hemati Receives NSF Career Award
- (2020-01-13) Drones Take Flight
- (2019-12-13) UMN Students Win 2019 Bayer Alka-Rocket Challenge
- (2019-12-09) Anil Bajaj Receives Caughey Dynamics Award
- (2019-11-25) Luci Baker Accepts Silberman Award
- (2019-11-15) Professor Thomas Shield Retires
- (2019-11-13) Rocket Team Works on Improvements for Competitions
- (2019-11-01) AEM Hosts Annual Career Panel
- (2019-10-28) Geoffrey Magda honored for AEM internship work with Ryan Elliott
- (2019-10-22) UAV Research Group Combats Invasive Species
- (2019-10-17) CSE Students Ship Satellite to NASA
- (2019-10-10) Michele Brekke: Breaking Through the Aerospace Industry
- (2019-10-07) Prominent Alumnus, Donor, and Engineer, J. Leonard Frame, Passes Away
- (2019-10-01) UMN Student Organization, AIAA, Kicks Off Another Year
- (2019-09-19) Solar Vehicle Project Gears Up for Another Year
- (2019-09-06) Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle Lab
- (2019-09-04) Welcome AEM Students!
- (2019-08-19) Professors Nichols & Coletti Promoted
- (2019-07-24) AEM Alumni Reunion - Class of 1969
- (2019-07-23) Professor Emeritus, Bill Garrard, Interviews with ABC on Apollo 11
- (2019-07-16) Professor Coletti to Lead NSF Grant
- (2019-07-16) Rocket Team Conducts Successful Flight
- (2019-07-08) UMN Alumna, Kelly Stephani, Awarded PECASE
- (2019-07-07) Seagate Donation
- (2019-06-06) Solving Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Problems
- (2019-05-22) Take it to Science Court
- (2019-05-16) Professor James Receives Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellowship
- (2019-05-13) AEM Graduate, Chad Rowe, will be the Next Space Grant Project Manager
- (2019-05-13) UMN Hosts Successful 2019 AIAA Region V Student Paper Conference
- (2019-05-13) AEM Ph.D Candidates Awarded John and Jane Dunning Copper Fellowships
- (2019-05-08) AEM Graduate, Manash Chakraborty, Wins Travel Award
- (2019-05-07) AEM Department Mourns the Loss of Professor Emeritus Robert Plunkett
- (2019-05-06) BAEM Pre-Commencement Reception
- (2019-04-26) UMN AEM Seniors Prepare for Graduation and Offer Freshman Advice
- (2019-04-15) Department Alumnus, Thomas Madison, has Passed Away
- (2019-04-12) AEM Alumna reflects on her Career and Inspires People to Enter the Cybersecurity Field
- (2019-03-18) Science Court Q&A with Tadmor & Star Tribune
- (2019-03-08) Professor Seiler Honored with Russell J. Penrose Faculty Fellow
- (2019-03-17) UMN Rocket Team wins 2018 Alka-Rocket Competition for Safe Recovery
- (2019-02-22) Retired AEM Professor Celebrates 100th Birthday
- (2019-01-28) Roger D. Launius Presentation on Space Exploration
- (2019-01-11) Rachael Winiecki makes History by becoming First Female F35 Developmental Test Pilot
- (2018-12-17) Freshman and Fly R/C Airships
- (2018-12-12) Professor Ellad Tadmor and Student Luke Diamond Interviewed about Science Court
- (2018-12-05) AEM Graduate Student, Mary Houston, Receives Akerman Fellowship
- (2018-11-14) James Flaten Interviews with Fox on Insight Lander
- (2018-11-14) AEM Undergraduates who Received Scholarships
- (2018-11-14) Richard James Presents Tedori-Callinan Distinguished Lecture
- (2018-11-02) Science Court Aims to Shed Light on Controversial Societal Issues
- (2018-11-02) Dr. Kaushik Bhattacharya Honored with OAA.
- (2018-10-29) Undergraduates Meets Professionals at 2018 Career Panel.
- (2018-10-26) Adam Thoreen Visits AEM Department to Give Career Presentation
- (2018-10-26) Professor Maziar Hemati Receives Young Investigator Program Award from AFOSR
- (2018-10-26) First Lego League Event.
- (2018-10-26) Professor Seiler Awarded Medal for the Development of the Hungarian Aeronautical Sciences.
- (2018-9-13) Dr. Kaushik Bhattacharya Nominated for the OAA.
- (2018-9-13) Professor Thomas Schwartzenruber and Professor Yohannes Ketema have been Elected 2019 Associate Fellows of AIAA
- (2018-8-09) Professor Ellen Longmire Joined the Dean's Office as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- (2018-6-18) The RASC-AL Senior Design Team Received First Place in their Theme Category at the 2018 RASC-AL FORUM.
- (2018-6-18) Ashley Bucsek and Robyn Macdonald: Recipients of the Prestigious President's Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- (2018-6-15) The Technology Company, Seagate, made a Generous Donation to the AEM Department.
- (2018-6-12) Professor Ryan Elliot and Professor Thomas Schwartzentruber were recently Promoted from Associate Professor to Professor.
- (2018-5-30) Professor Richard James will be Presenting a Lecture, 'Atomistically Inspired Origami,' with Oxford Mathematics Public Lectures- Hooke Lecture on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 FROM 12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M. CDT.
- (2018-5-29) Professor Krishnan Mahesh is Leading a Diverse Team of Researchers
- (2018-5-17) AEM PH.D. Candidates Receive John & Jane Dunning Copper Fellowship
- (2018-5-8) AEM Alumnus, Ajit Roy was Recently Named An AFRL Fellow
- (2018-5-4) Two department of Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics Graduate Students, Narendra Singh and Joel Runnels, have been Awarded the 2018-19 Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- (2018-5-3) Bruce R. White. has Passed Away on April 25, 2018 at the Age of 69 after a Brief Illness. White Obtained his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in Aerospace Engineering From the University of Minnesota in 1971 and 1972.
- (2018-5-1) Doctoral Student, Yi Hui Tee, has Received the Amelia Earhart Fellowship.
- (2018-5-1) The Liquid Propelled Rocket Design (LPRD) Team at the University of Minnesota is Working on a New Approach to Creating a Rocket Engine.
- (2018-4-26) The BAEM Precommencement Reception will be Held on May 11th @ 4-6PM in the Gary J. Balas Atrium.
- (2018-3-14) Join us on Monday, April 30, for a Special Lecture by Colonel Pamela Melroy, USAF RET. And Former NASA Astronaut, for CSE Students and Faculty about her Background, Experiences, with USAF and NASA and Answer Questions.
- (2018-3-14) Professor Filippo Coletti will be Speaking at CSE's New Curiosity Drives Progress Lecture Series on March 22.
- (2018-3-6) AEM Alumnus, Dale Enns, has been Awarded the 2018 Honeywell Lifetime Achievement Award.
- (2018-2-8) Duane "Digger" Carey Visited AEM for a Guest Lecture on Feb 6, 2018.
- (2018-2-2) Professor Filippo Coletti was Recently Named a 2018-2020 McKnight Land-Grant Professor
- (2018-1-30) Members of One Minnesota's Women in Aviation International Chapter, Stars of the North, Will be Visiting AEM in Balas Atrium on Monday, February 5 from 4:30- 5:30
- (2018-1-8) AEM Senior Design Students Chose and Developed Projects During the Fall Semester with the Help of Faculty and Sponsors
- (2017-12-21) One of this Semester's Senior Design Teams, Asteroid Deflection Team 2, Entered their Project in the Analytical Graphics, Inc. (AGI) EAP University Grant Competition and Received Second Place for the Fall Competition.
- (2017-12-20) University of Minnesota Student Members of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) are Currently in the Process of Preparing AIAA's Design, Build, Fly Competition that will be held April 19-22, 2018.
- (2017-12-19) Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Professor Graham Candler will be Giving the Distinguished Dryden Lecture in Research at the American Institute of Aeronautics (AIAA) Science and Technology Forum and Exposition.
- (2017-12-11) Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics First-Year Students from AEM 1805: Introduction to Spaceflight and Stratospheric Ballooning, will be Showcasing Projects they have been Working During their First Semester.
- (2017-12-8) Michael Kroells, Ph.D. Candidate, was Awarded a One-Year College of Science and Engineering (CSE) Fellowship Award.
- (2017-12-1) Students of the University of Minnesota's Exact Program are Building a Shoebox-Sized X-Ray Telescope to Study Solar Flares
- (2017-12-1) Aerospace Engineering and mechanics Alumnus Ramesh Agarwal Recently Received an Honorary Membership from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) in Recognition of his Lifetime Achievements.
- (2017-11-13) Associate Professor Ryan S. Elliot was Named a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). He is one of a Select Number of 3,521 who have Attained the Grade of Fellow Among Over 106, 993 Members.
- (2017-11-10) The University of Minnesota's Rocket Team Won the Bayer-Big Ten Alka-Rocket Challenge which was Held on November 8, 2017
- (2017-11-6) Daniel Miller, a PH.D. Candidate, was Awarded the Two-Year College of Science and Engineering (CSE) Fellowship Award from the University of Minnesota.
- (2017-11-1) The Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Held Their Annual Career Panel on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 in the Gary J. Balas Atrium.
- (2017-10-16) Professor Richard James Gave the Timoshenko Lecture on October 12, 2017 at Stanford University.
- (2-17-10-13) AEM Assistant Professor Richard Linares was Recently Awarded the Young Investigator Research Program (YIP) Award from the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)
- (2017-9-29) Professor Maziar Hemati Distinguished as AIAA Senior Member.
- (2017-9-29)This Academic Year, Twenty-Three Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics (AEM) Students were Awarded Undergraduate Scholarships and Five Graduate Students were Awarded Fellowships Based on their Financial Needs and Academic Merit.
- (2017-09-08) Dr. Ronald Gibson, Class of 1975, Details His Long Career and Plans for His "Second Retirement."
- (2017-09-05) Professor Filippo Coletti was Recently Awarded Two Grants from the U.S. Department of Defense to Study Air Turbulence.
- (2017-08-30) Stratospheric Ballooning Team Captures Video of the Solar Eclipse.
- (2017-08-22) CubeSat Team Participates in the 2017 SmallSat Conference.
- (2017-08-09) UMN Stratospheric Ballooning Team Sets a New Record by Launching their Weather Balloon High Into the Sky.
- (2017-08-03) A Partnership Between CSE and Girls Inc. At the YWCA Offers Middle School Students the Opportunity to Visualize Themselves as Scientists and Engineers.
- (2017-08-03) AEM Students Prepare to Livestream the Solar Eclipse of August 21, 2017.
- (2017-07-20) Richard James will Give a Lecture on his Group's Work on the Design of Materials at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- (2017-07-13) On July 6, 2017 a Group of Middle School Girls Joined Members of the University of Minnesota Stratospheric Ballooning Team to take on the Challenge of Building and Test Dropping Parachutes.
- (2017-07-05) A Collaboration Between the University of Arizona and the University of Minnesota has Resulted in a Unique Solution to the Orbital Debris Problem; An Optical Telescope with the Ability to Track Space Debris and Satellites.
- (2017-06-20) Department Alumnus, John Copper Passed Away on May 24, 2017. He Received his Aeronautical Engineering Degree from the University of Minnesota in 1957.
- (2017-06-13) AEM Professor, Richard Linares and a Group of University of Minnesota Students Build an Innovative Telescope that Transforms the Way Space Debris are Tracked and in the Future.
- (2017-06-13) An AEM Senior Design Team Participated in Airlock Design Theme of the RASCAL Design Competition.
- (2017-06-12) Faculty Member Demoz Gebre-Egziabher has Recently Been Promoted from Associate Professor to Professor, which Becomes Effective the Beginning of Fall Semester 2017.
- (2017-06-09) The University of Minnesota Ballooning Team Works with Local Pre-College Students to Build and Fly Spacecraft-Like Payloads into the Stratosphere.
- (2017-05-26) The MN Space Grant Consortium Sponsored Stratospheric Ballooning Team is Preparing to Fly Their Balloons During the Total Solar Eclipse on August 21, 2017
- (2017-05-26) AEM has Awarded Three PH.D. Candidates the John and Jane Dunning Copper Fellowship. The Fellowship is Awarded to Students who have an Outstanding Academic Record and Who Demonstrate a Strong Aptitude in their Field of Study.
- (2017-05-24) Students in the AEM All-Freshman Course, "Introduction to Cubesats," Spent their Spring Semester Designing, Building, and Flying Devices that Look and Operate like Functional Picosatellites Called Cubesats.
- (2017-05-22) AEM is Proud to have Eleven Faculty Members- Richard James, Ryan Elliot, Ellen Longmire, Demoz Gebre-Egziabher, Graham Candler, Filippo Coletti, Ellad Tadmor, Peter Seiler, Thomas Schwartzentruber, John Weyrauch, and Roger Fosdick
- (2017-05-19) Luci Baker, a Graduate Student in the AEM Department, was Awarded a National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship from the Department of Defense.
- (2017-05-19) Mingjian Wen, a Ph.D. Candidate in the AEM Department, was Awarded a Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship for the 2017-2018 Academic Year from the University of Minnesota.
- (2017-05-16) Raghu Venkataraman, a PH.D. Candidate in the AEM Department, was Awarded a Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship for the 2017-2018 Academic Year from the University of Minnesota.
- (2017-05-08) An AEM Senior Design Team has Been Invited to Present at the RASC Al Forum at the Kennedy Space Center on May 31st- June, 2017
- (2017-04-21) Department Alumnus, James Winker has Passed Away. He Received his Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics from the University of Minnesota in 1952.
- (2017-04-18) AEM Alumnus, Thomas Sontag, Donates John D. Akerman's Flying Wing Blueprint.
- (2017-04-06) AEM Alumna, Katherine Glasheen, Has Received the National Science Foundation Fellowship.
- (2017-04-06) NASA'S Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate, Posted a Video Made by AEM Students in his Weekly 'Science in Seconds' Tweet.
- (2017-03-27) AEM Senior Design Team Participates in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Aero Design West Competition.
- (2017-03-24) Professor Graham Candler has received the Prestigious Dryden Lecture in Research Award from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- (2017-02-05) A Senior Design Team was Invited to Attend the SAE Aero Design Competition in Fort Worth, Texas on March 10-12, 2017
- (2017-01-27) Bill Garrard Retires as Director of NASA's MNSGC After 25 Years. Bill was Central to the MNSGGC Since it Began in 1989.
- (2017-01-16) AEM Graduate and His Lab are Featured in Pioneer Press. Aster Labs, Headed by 1988 BAEM Graduate, Suneel Sheikh, is Making Life Easier for Grandparents.
- (2017-01-16) AEM Senior Design Students Chose and Developed Their Projects Fall Semester with Faculty and Sponsor Oversight and Approval.
- (2016-12-27) AEM Alumnus, Captain Edelbert E. Irish has Passed Away. He Received his Master's Degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Minnesota in 1957.
- (2016-12-19) AEM Alumnus, Steve Cook, has been Named to Trump's NASA Transition Team. Cook has been an Aerospace Executive at Dynetics in Huntsville, Alabama, and was a Former NASA Manager.
- (2016-11-28) Interested in an Opportunity with NASA? For Information Regarding NASA Internship, Fellowship, and Co-Op/Job Opportunities for Undergraduate and Graduate Students.
- (2016-11-21) Jordan Hoyt, a Graduate Student in Professor Seiler's Research Group, was Awarded the Christine Mirzayan Science & Technology Policy Graduate Fellowship
- (2016-10-17) The Winning DSCC Paper was Authored by Postdoctoral Associate Dr. Daniel Ossman, Former Research Fellow Julian Theis, and Professor Peter Seiler.
- (2016-10-05) A Career Panel ad Networking Event will be Held by Aerospace Professionals.
- (2016-10-05) Alumni and Friends, Sign up Today to Share your Professional Insight with Students. Registration Deadline is September 16.
- (2016-08-19) Department Welcomes Grad Student & NSF Fellowship Recipient, Jordan Hoyt
- (2016-07-29) The Solar Vehicle Project Race Their Solar Car in the Formula Sun Grand Prix July 26-28 and will Race in the American Solar Challenge July 30-Aug 6.
- (2016-07-11) The Work of the University of Minnesota Flexible Aircraft (PAWW) Program was Highlighted in a Recent Article in Aviation Week, Titled "Flexible, Slender, Active Wings Lie Ahead for Airliners."
- (2016-07-05) AEMDepartment is Proud to Announce that a Senior Design Team from AEM 4333, The Scalable Lunar Ice Propellant Manufacture Through Modularity Team, Took Home a First Place Award at the NASA RASCAL Collegiate Design and Innovation Challenge.
- (2016-06-30) The University of Minnesota Rocket Team was One of 52 Teams from Around the World Competing in the Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition (IREC).
- (2016-06-15) The U Rocket Team is Set to Compete in the Annual Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition from June 15-18 in Green River, Utah. Each Year, the Team Designs its Rockets in the Fall and Builds them throughout the Spring Semester.
- (2016-06-02) Frank David Werner Sr., A Distinguished Inventor and Engineer, Passed Away on Saturday, May 7, at the Age of 94. He Received a M.S. and PH.D. in Aeronautical Engineering at the University of Minnesota.
- (2016-05-25) The Institute on the Environment's Renewable Electricity for Minnesota's Future Grant Program has Awarded $717,360 Each to Four Collaborative Research Initiatives, Three of Which Feature a Member of the Aerospace Engineering Faculty.
- (2016-05-24) On May 13, 2016, The AEM Department Hosted a Pre-Commencement Reception for the Graduates of the Class of 2016. To See Pictures from the Reception and of the Senior Design Teams Click Here.
- (2016-05-17) The 2016 Region V Student Conference was Hosted by the Iowa State University Student Branch of AIAA in Ames, IA on April 6-8, 2016. AEM Undergraduate Students, Apura Badithela Submitted a Presentation for the Community Outreach Category.
- (2016-05-16) Maninder Grover, a PH.D. Candidate in the AEM Department, was Awarded a Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship for the 2016-2017 Academic Year from the University of Minnesota.
- (2016-05-16) Sally Ann Keyes, Anubhav Dwivedi, and Ashin Dev Achambath have been Awarded the 2015-2016 John A. & Jane Dunning Copper Fellowship
- (2016-04-25) Jinah Jeun, Who is Pursuing a Doctoral Degree in the AEM Department, has been Awarded the 2016 Amelia Earhart Fellowship by Zonta International.
- (2016-04-21) On Friday Evening, April 15, And Saturday, April 16, NASA's MN Space Grant Consortium (MNSGC), Which is Led From the AEM Department, Hosted the 2015-2016 MNSGC Community College Quadcopter Challenge
- (2016-04-21) Industrial Professor of Design, John Weyrauch was Awarded the Kershner Award by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- (2016-04-18) Alec Peterson, a Graduate Student in the AEM Department, Has Been Named a Recipient of a NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- (2016-04-18) Dr. Ronald J. Adrian, A Distinguished Graduate of the University of Minnesota, Will be Honored with a Prestigious Outstanding Achievement Award From the University on May 17, 2016
- (2016-03-09) Michael Kroells, an Undergraduate Pursuing a Aerospace Engineering Degree and a Gopher Heavyweight Wrestler, was Recently Featured in a News Segment by Kare11
- (2016-02-29) Dr. Ajit K. Roy, of the Air Force Research Laboratory's (AFRL) Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, was Recently Named a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIIA).
- (2016-02-22) Adam Creuziger, A 2002 Graduate of the Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Department, was Named by President Obama as one of the 2016 Recipients of the Presidential Early Career Award for Engineers.
- (2016-02-15) AEM Alum Steve Cook was Recently Named a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- (2016-01-19) AIAA's Spotlight for January 2016 is Pointed to the State of Minnesota, Falling On Kristen Gerzina, An Aeroballistician at Orbital ATK, and the Chair of the AIAA Twin Cities Section.
- (2015-11-11) There was a Full House in the Gary J. Balas Atrium on Tuesday, November 9th, as Undergraduate Students Came to get Career and Job Search Advice from AEM Alumni Working in the Industry.
- (2015-10-28) NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center Engineers are Working on an Aircraft Called the Preliminary Research Aerodynamic Design to Lower Drag, Which Resembles a Boomrang and Could Lead to an 11-Percent Reduction in Fuel Consumption.
- (2015-09-30) Professor Emeritus Jerry Ericksen will Celebrate his 90th Birthday at a Symposium in Eugene, Oregon on October 23-25, 2015
- (2015-09-23) We are Pleased to Announce that Professor Thomas Schwartzentruber was been Named the Russell J. Penrose Faculty Fellow.
- (2015-09-08) Dr. Sandy Magnus Flew in Space on the 2002 STS-112 Shuttle Mission and on the Final Flight in 2011
- (2015-08-23) The AEM Department will be Welcoming Two New Faculty Members in September 2015
- (2015-07-30) Professor Demoz Gebre-Egziabher is the Lead Pi Along with a Team of Other University of Minnesota Researchers Developing High-Tech Robotics
- (2015-07-28) This Article in the Star Tribune Discusses the Use of UAVs in Agriculture for Detecting Pests, Monitoring Hydration and Growth Rates, Scan Crops for Health Problems and Locate Disease Problems.
- (2015-06-23) The AEM 4333 Mars Entry, Descent, and Landing (EDL) Senior Design Team Took Part in the NASA RASCAL Collegiate Design and Innovation Challenge.
- (2015-06-02) AEM Professor Richard James Wrote Commentary Articles Recently in Nature and Science that Relate Closely to Research Carried Out in AEM Over the Past Few Years.
- (2015-05-22 NASA’S MN Space Grant, Led from the AEM Department, and Tripoli MN, a High-Power Rocketry Club, Collaborated to Run the 2014-2015 Space Grant Midwest Rocketry Competition on May 19 and 20, 2015.
- (2015-05-14)Three Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Graduate Students Received the Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship this Year: Jennifer Annoni, Savio Poovathingal, and Vivekanand Babade.
- (2015-05-01)The Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Senior Design Team- Gophers- Took Part in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) AERO Design West Competition in Van Nuys California on April 24-26
- (2015-05-01) On April 24, 2015, The Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Held a Dedication Ceremony for the Akerman Hangar, Renaming it as the Gary J. Balas Atrium
- (2015-04-20)The Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Department Hosted NASA's Minnesota Space Grant Consortium (MNSGC) Community College Quadcopter Competition on Thursday, April 16
- (2015-04-14)This Year's College of Science and Engineering (CSE) Commencement Ceremony will Take Place on Friday, May 15 From 7 P.M. - 9:15 P.M. in the Mariucci Arena
- (2015-04-06)The Gilruth Tribute Celebration will Take Place on Thursday, April 23 From 8 A.M. - 10 A.M. at the TCF Bank Stadium.
- (2015-04-01) Richard James Gave the Southwest Mechanics Lecture Series on February 17-19, with Stops at the University of Texas, Austin; Texas A&M University; and the University of Houston.
- (2015-03-04)Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Professor Filippo Coletti has Received the National Science Foundation (NFS) Career Award for his Work on Fluid Mechanics of Human Airways.
- (2015-02-04) The Institute of Navigation (ION) Presented Dr. Hamid Mokhtarzadeh, AEM Postdoctoral Associate, and Dr. Demoz Gebre-Egziahber, AEM's Director of Graduate Studies, with the Dr. Samuel M. Burka Award.
Previous events within the Department of Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics or College of Science & Engineering at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.
- (07-01-2021) - Saints Outing with AEM - AEM and AIAA invited folks to an afternoon at the ballpark to celebrate the end of a difficult but successful academic year and the start of a great summer
- (05-15-2021) - 2021 CSE Virtual Commencement - This event recognizes College of Science and Engineering students in engineering, physical sciences, computer science, and mathematics programs who are completing their undergraduate degrees.
- (05-10-2021) - 2021 CSE AEM Undergraduate Commencement - This event was one of the first in-person events after the pandemic and celebrated AEM graduates.
(2019-12-10) Lighter-Than-Air RC Vehicle Exhibit - AEM 1301 freshman seminar on Lighter-Than-Air RC Vehicles will be exhibiting their hardware & flight videos! Swing by to ask them about their experiences with lighter-than-air vehicles!
- (2019-11-26) Science Court Discussion & Verdict: Nuclear Power. Join Science Court for its final verdict and public discussion on whether the U.S. government should increase funding for the development and construction of nuclear power plants with the aim of significantly increasing nuclear power use.
- (2019-11-23) Science Court: Trial. Join Science Court for its debate and trial on whether the U.S. government should increase funding for the development and construction of nuclear power plants with the aim of significantly increasing nuclear power use.
- (2019-10-11) Minnesota Institute for Astrophysics Public Telescope Viewing Have the chance to observe some of the same celestial objects that have inspired sky-gazers throughout history!
- (2019-10-11) AEM Seminar: Mechanical Coupling in Soft Biological Tissues: A New Force Driving Growth and Remodeling Every soft biological tissue is, in essence, a composite material. Within each tissue, multiple constituents can be found, such as cells, collagen and elastin fibers, and glycosaminoglycans / proteoglycans.
- (2019-10-04) Michele Brekke: Meet & Greet
AEM Alumna, flight manager for Boeing CST-100 Starliner operational missions, and UMN-TC 2019 Grand Marshal, Michele Brekke will be doing a meet & greet and sharing her journey through her career. She will be taking questions afterwards so don't miss this opportunity!
- (2019-09-24) Next Season of Science Court
Vote for your favorite case for the next season of Science Court! This event is free and no registration is required.
- (2019-09-16/17) 11th Ablation Workshop
The Ablation Workshop provides a single meeting point for integration and advancement of a multi-disciplinary research community of scientists and engineers working on aerothermodynamic ablation.
- (2019-09-06) JCPenney Suit-Up Event
This event helps you get discounted career clothing. It is open to current University of Minnesota undergraduate and graduate students, their families, and alumni.
- (2019-08-22) STEM Day at the Fair
Several University of Minnesota science and engineering faculty, staff, and students are involved in STEM Day at the Fair. You can program robots, design features for a State Fair building, explore bioremediation, track wild animals, learn about the physics of flight, play with air pressure and rocketry, challenge your math skills with hands-on activities, and more!